Thursday, July 15, 2010

Volunteered By Proxy

I volunteer a good chunk of my time on various community projects, and Chalk Walk is a community event that I plan each year.  I'm afraid that poor Mr. Wahoo is volunteered by proxy.  I'm always "asking" him to pitch in to round out whatever event I've got going on.  When Chalk Walk comes around I shamelessly take advantage of his artistic endeavors for my own charitable gains.

Last year, Chalk Walk was the kick off celebration for our county's bicentennial and the 40th Anniversary of the original Woodstock concert in Bethel, NY.  The participating artists were asked to create something that celebrated either or both of these events. Mr. Wahoo chose to do a portrait of Jimi Hendrix, a personal idol of his.

He started this portrait the night before, working for about an hour by lantern light. Since this was his first time attempting a chalk rendering, he was a tad nervous and spent a lot of time on mental preparations.  He was really concerned with not being able to execute his vision.

I have a very hard time finding artists for this event because they're afraid of the medium.  It doesn't matter how hard I stress the fun factor, they just don't seem interested.  I give my man lots of kudos for volunteering his time and talent, working so hard to create something interesting for the public and for taking on an unusual medium out of his comfort levels and artistic experience.  


That's 6'9" of coiled Wahoo.  He was a hurtin' mess the next day!

The day of the event he spent about 5 hours working while the occasional passerby would make inquiries about his subject.  He was asked if he was drawing Michael Jackson, John Coltrane or Miles Davis. We even had one ask if it was Dr. King. The oddball guesses were not deterred by the J-I-M-I spelled out down the right side.

At a certain point he hated it.  That's when I knew it, and he, was finished.

I had Mr. Wahoo pose with his chalk masterpiece to give an idea of scale. I believe Jimi was 6'x4' when all was said and done.

Finished product. 

Biggest lessons learned about sidewalk chalk art was to bring paint brushes to help smooth out and blend the chalk. Mr. Wahoo didn't have finger prints for about a week afterward. Another good tip is to bring something to kneel or sit on.  That sidewalk is hard, but whatta trooper!

 Oh Edward, how you glitter in the sunlight.
This year's Chalk Walk didn't have a theme.  We just let people do what it was they wanted to do while stressing "family friendly event".  Mr. Wahoo chose to draw Edward of the Twilight movies.  The newest movie was being released the following week, and he figured this would be a no brainer and a biggie with the kids.

Keeping with the myth created by Stephenie Meyer he even made Edward sparkle in the sunlight.  The effect was absolutely incredible. 

What do you think?  Who do you think this is?

Drawing a popular actor and character didn't deter the oddball guessing.  This year we heard a lot of James Dean and Marlon Brando remarks.  Even the local paper printed that his portrait did resemble a young Marlon Brando.  They also attributed my quotes to the local librarian and credited her for organizing the event.  Seriously. Some days you win, some days you lose. Some days you fantasize about blowing it all up, burning it down and roasting marshmallows in the aftermath.  Some days...

My neighbor's 75 year old aunt was the hero of the day by remarking "I know who that is, that's obviously Robert Pattinson."  I turned to Mr. Wahoo and said "See it's not you, it's them.  It's usually them.  Why do we even listen to them?"

Thanks, Aunt Judy! 



My Wahoo with his chalk portrait of a glittery teen idol. 

4 comments:

Becky said...

Cool! I'm constantly amazed by the interesting things that Betties, and Betty spouses, are up to.

Anonymous said...

One day, when I am insanely wealthy I am commissioning you and Mr Wahoo to do a Jimi (or a Freddie Mercury) for my games room wall in my mansion.
Sure Thing

It's a Meow World said...

@Becky - I know! I love reading everyone's blogs and have missed them lately thanks to my slave-like schedule. I can't wait to play catch, though. :)

@Sarah - Oh Kindred Spirit! I have a Freddie Mercury and a Jimi, both on canvas, hanging in our home. I'm incredibly lucky to have such a talented guy. :)

Mr. Wahoo gets a little discouraged because his artwork doesn't sell. He's done stop-motion videos showing his creative process, and people barely blink.

I'll post one of his videos. I'm sure the sophisticated Betties can better appreciate his fine skills. ;)

Delia said...

Wowzers! That is a fantastically talented man you've got there. Very nice portraiture. I can't believe people got Don King from that. Good lord.