Monday, June 7, 2010

Inspired reflections...

As an avid reader (Hi, my name is Cat and I'm a bookaholic.) I love when an author mentions songs or lyrics in their story, it adds another dimension to the story, characters and my reading experience. Music can illicit an immediate emotional response, it adds drama.

I absolutely adore when an author creates a play-list, it's like Nirvana. I've been known to put a book down to hit the computer for a quick music download (thank you, God, for iTunes). Listening to a song can bring me right back to the book, the emotional content of the story and my emotional experience of that story. It also helps me find new music, and I always love that!

Lyrics from Kate Bush's "Running Up That Hill" were quoted in an urban fantasy series I've been reading. It's the story of two souls who keep coming back to each other for over 1500 years. Can anyone say issues? Even though they have this incredible love their trust and communication issues have put them in this holding pattern.

One major problem is the heroine's reluctance or inability to lean on the hero. This causes many problems, and leads him to quote the song:

And if I only could
I'd make a deal with God
And I'd get him to swap our places


It's like a prayer he's released to the Universe in a sad, resigned, and desperate way. He's a prime example of masculinity not being about macho. It can be the knowledge of self and the security that comes with that knowledge. Thus becoming a quiet, steady guiding force.

I got to thinking about these themes thanks to other Betty blogs. There has been many a conversation over at Lucy March's blog about learning how to trust and lean.

Alastair over at Paper Bullets of the Brain has an ongoing discussion on masculinity, chivalry, and the male identity in our modern world. All good, interesting stuff.

The song itself is great. I love when a writer talks about their inspirations. I hold such wonder and awe for the creative process. Loved reading Kate Bush talking about her inspiration for creating this song:

"I was trying to say that, really, a man and a woman, can't understand each other because we are a man and a woman. And if we could actually swap each other's roles, if we could actually be in each other's place for a while, I think we'd both be very surprised! [Laughs] And I think it would lead to a greater understanding. And really the only way I could think it could be done was either... you know, I thought a deal with the devil, you know. And I thought, 'well, no, why not a deal with God!' You know, because in a way it's so much more powerful the whole idea of asking God to make a deal with you."


Her lyrics are wonderful:

You don't want to hurt me,
But see how deep the bullet lies.
Unaware that I'm tearing you asunder.
There is thunder in our hearts, baby.
So much hate for the ones we love?
Tell me, we both matter, don't we?


Now enjoy the original song and video:




A cover of "Running Up That Hill" by Within Temptation from 2003:



Another cover by Placebo from 2007:

2 comments:

Dee said...

Love the Placebo remake! I may have to go looking for it. (Not too crazy about the other, but that's just me).

What's the name of the series?

It's a Meow World said...

Sorry, Dee. The author is Richelle Mead and it's her Georgina Kincaid series. It's a six book series (book six due out 9/2011) about a succubus.

It's a series I've enjoyed and I can not believe I have to wait over a year for the final installment. Ugh!